Yep here is another rendition of “Single Girl Survival Guide” and this time it’s devoted to my COLLEGE PEOPLES. When I was a freshman and sophomore I lived in the dorms. I was blessed to not have CRAZY HORRIBLE ROOMMATES but unfortunately not everyone is blessed like that. So here are my 10 tips to survive….THE DORM LIFE!
- Bed Risers – Storage in Dorm rooms can be limited and I don’t know about anyone else but I loved having my bed super high (except at 2 am when I fell out of it to use the bathroom)
- Personal Labels on Important Stuff – Theft is real and you want to protect your stuff. I feel like this is self-explanatory but needs to be said.
- Solid Roommate Agreement – I witness some other people dealing with crazy. I mean you could end up with a THOT roommate so you need to set guy rules. Your roommate could just be dirty and invasive so you need to set cleaning and personal bubble rules. Do you mind if she uses your hair stuff without asking? What if you aren’t home and she wants to snack ON YOUR SNACKS? These should be verbally discusses and if agreed included on your roommate agreement. Especially if you have never shared its best to start off with telling them what you can handle.
- Bathroom Rules – So I have definitely had an experience with the bathrooms that I was not prepared for. You should always have bathroom rules…like shower and hair is MUCH NEEDED CONVO because some girls are DISGUSTING.
- Command Hooks – I felt so much better when my side of the room was ORGANIZED and everything had a place. You can even get a whole thing from Sam’s club and you and your roommate could decorate together. TEAM BONDING MOMENT
- Collect Quarters For Laundry – Self Explanatory but I guess I should also state that BED SHEETS NEED TO BE WASHED BIWEEKLY!!! THAT IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING and I did meet people who didn’t change their sheets for God knows how long.
- Be Friend Your Neighbors – I have lifelong friends from my experience in the dorm life and keep an open mind. You will meet some of the most eclectic coolest people in college.
- AGAIN MINIMUM 2 SETS OF BEDSHEETS (THAT’S JUST NASTY)
- Always carry a camera – You can do the funniest stuff in a dorm (sending someone down a trash chute or down the stairs in a box, in the dryer, see a symphony playing star wars in the main area). I got kidnapped on my birthday, we threw people in the fountain, we decorated doors to show love. I am telling you dorm life has so many memories so why not have pictures.
- RESPECT YOUR ROOMMATE – Positive vibes are reciprocated so you want your room to be a place of peace and laughter. My first college roommate got me addicted to Sex and the City and some of my best Saturdays were spent when we had the bathroom door open to our suitemate and listen to Michael Jackson while we studied.
Single Girl Toolbox:
- Bed Risers
- Shower Shoes
- Shower Caddy
- All Types of Command Hooks
- Containers for Bed Storage
- Awesome Twin XL bed Sheets
- Bathroom Cleaner
Dorm life doesn’t have to be a struggle. In fact it is probably some of the best memories I have from my first two years of college. There is a way to live in harmony with a complete stranger. By the end of the year they are practically family.
Do you guys have any more questions? I will be happy to answer them for you.
Do you like this “Single Girl Survival Guide”?